In the beginning there was......

When did it all start? Was it after 6 years in the same job? Was it hearing about Ben Fogle and James Cracknell rowing across the Atlantic? Or was it just the approaching dread of a major milestone birthday? I don't know, but I needed a challenge and after watching Long Way Round, the plan began to form.

Early plans became tempered with reality, and I finally came up with the idea of a motorbike trip from my home in Kent to Banjul, the capital of Gambia. All my friends who rode bikes could not get the 4 weeks off that were required. I had to do it in 2006 (the reason will become apparent later), and so it was either shelve the plan (I could hear the screams of another dream dying!) or bite the bullet and do it solo.

It had to be done, solo it was.

No comments: